[Vision2020] Closed doors

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Thu Apr 12 06:19:44 PDT 2007

Ellen (and the rest of the Vizzz peeps),

Your stories of dealing with the 911 service cause me great concern.

I've recently joined the Moscow Volunteer Fire Department's Ambulance
Company.  I know we try our darnedest to respond to a call as soon as
possible.  Being a completely volunteer service, sometimes that's hard
to do.  The situations you describe would NOT be tolerated today, from
what I know of the Ambulance Company.  Of course, my association with
the Company goes back just over 5 years to when my Delicate Flower
became an EMT.  Having seen the need for more Emergency Medical Service,
this prompted me to become an EMT as well, beginning January 2007.

In my limited recent experience, I know that when we are dispatched the
police are dispatched as well. Usually they arrive first, and nowadays I
believe they all have "first responder" training.  Also dispatched would
be a Fire Department engine, usually with first responders and sometimes
an EMT or two.  None of these have the ability to transport, though, but
they can help gather vital signs and history of the patient so when the
ambulance arrives transport can be expedited.

The one thing I don't think a lot of people (especially new citizens of
Moscow) realize is that our Fire Department and Ambulance Company are
totally volunteer.  Please forgive our seemingly long response times, as
we are responding from our jobs, our homes, family dinners, and even the
depths of slumber for fire and ambulance calls.  I'm not trying to make
excuses, as I am extremely proud to be a member of such a fine
organization that saves our taxpayers' money by being volunteers.  It
feels good to be a part of something that is so professional, yet who's
members don't accept a dime in payment.

Thanks for your time

DC