[Vision2020] Double Standard

Bev Bafus bevbafus at verizon.net
Wed Apr 11 17:40:02 PDT 2007

J and others...

Ok, I'll bite on this one, and no, I'm not angry.  :)

There is a double standard, but not necessarily just with blacks.

What difference is there in name calling if someone of Asian decent is
called a "gook" or "chink", or a black is called "nigger"?

We had a serious problem with this when my son was in school - he was
constantly called a "gook" with no consequences, but woe unto him if he
called someone a "redneck", or used the word "retard".

I have my prejudices...  which I must say are mostly cultural rather than
racial, since we have a rainbow of skin colors in our family.

However, the problem with labels and name calling is the intent behind them.
It is just as hurtful to call someone "four eyes" or "lard butt" as it is to
call attention negatively to their skin color.

I think the double standard is perceived when a group uses a negative label
within their group as a bonding label.  However, we should be concerned with
any demeaning language - no matter what image or group of people is being
attacked.  (Short people of the world - unite!!!)  :)

Thanks
Bev Bafus