[Vision2020] Disney Lets Gays and Lesbians Have Fairy Tale Weddings

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 8 13:30:21 PDT 2007

>From CNN.com -

Disney lets gays and lesbians have fairy tale weddings

Story Highlights:

. Disney letting same-sex couples use Fair Tale Wedding program
. Had limited program to couples with valid marriage licenses
. Disney says it welcomes "every guest in an inclusive environment"
. Some religious groups have condemned "gay days" at parks

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Same-sex couples who want to exchange vows
in front of Cinderella's Castle now have the chance.

The Walt Disney Co. had limited its Fairy Tale Wedding program to couples
with valid marriage licenses, but it is now making ceremonies at its parks
available to gay couples as well.

"We believe this change is consistent with Disney's long-standing policy of
welcoming every guest in an inclusive environment," Disney Parks and Resorts
spokesman Donn Walker said Friday. "We want everyone who comes to celebrate
a special occasion at Disney to feel welcome and respected."

The company said it made the change after being contacted by a gay couple
who wanted to use the wedding service, which offers ceremonies at Disneyland
in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disney's cruise
ships.

The service offers flowers, dining, music and many optional Disney touches,
from ceremonies in front of the parks' iconic attractions to having Mickey
and Minnie Mouse in formal wear as guests. The packages start at $8,000 and
can cost more than $45,000.

Groups not affiliated with Disney have held annual "gay days" celebrations
at Disney parks for years. Company officials have taken a tolerant attitude
to the weekend, allowing party promoters to rent out parks after hours and
rebuffing religious groups that condemned Disney.

In 2005, Southern Baptists ended an eight-year boycott of the Walt Disney
Co. for violating "moral righteousness and traditional family values."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)