[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White (April 6, 2007)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 6 05:32:46 PDT 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White
for April 6, 2007.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends April 6, 2007

Dear Friends,

The University is mourning the loss of one of our students to violence.
David R. Boss, a history major due to graduate next month, was killed in his
off-campus apartment last Saturday morning. Tuesday evening, the Moscow
Police Department announced that a suspect had been apprehended in Nevada in
connection with Dave's homicide, as well as the subsequent killing of a
Boise State University student, Bradley Morse, in Boise. The suspect was
enrolled briefly at the University of Idaho in 2004-05.

Our heartfelt sympathy goes to Dave's family and friends in his hometown of
Boise, to his University friends, faculty and to all who knew him. All are
welcome to attend a campus memorial service on Tuesday, April 10 at 6:30
p.m. in the Administration Auditorium, as well as the family's memorial
service this Saturday, April 7 at 2 p.m. in Boise. That service will take
place at a residence: 6603 W. Dry Creek Road, Boise.

On behalf of all of us associated with the University of Idaho, I extend our
condolences also to Boise State University, and the friends and family of
Bradley Morse.

Dave's family has expressed their deep appreciation of our community's
outreach to them during this tragic week. They are gratified that their son
was known, made an impact, had friends, was doing well academically and was
influenced and motivated by faculty members. The family has established the
David Boss Memorial Scholarship. Contributions may be made, in care of the
Fund, to the University of Idaho Foundation, Gift Administration Office,
P.O. Box 443147, Moscow, ID, 83844-3147.

I want to express my gratitude to the law enforcement authorities and to all
who contributed to the swift action in this case. While violence exists
everywhere, including the Palouse, it is both uncommon and wholly
unacceptable to us. It cannot and will not gain a foothold in our University
and Moscow community, where thought, reason, dialogue and respectful
debate-not violence-is the means to reach common understanding and to effect
positive change in the world.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Storyteller, bestselling author, award-winning screenwriter and filmmaker
Phil Cousineau is the featured speaker at the third annual Judith Runstad
Discovery Lecture Series on Wednesday, April 18. Titled "The Art of the
Pilgrimage," Cousineau explores ways travelers can make a mere trip into a
journey. Hosted by the University's Core Education Program, the lecture
starts at 7 p.m. in the Agricultural Science Building Room 106 and is open
to the public.

Michael Falkowski, a University of Idaho graduate student in the College of
Natural Resources studying forest resource management, has been awarded the
Colwell Memorial Fellowship by the American Society for Photogrammetry and
Remote Sensing. Only one graduate student in the nation is selected to
receive this award annually. The award consists of a certificate and $4,000.
Falkowski, who is from Wisconsin, is studying the utility of using remote
sensing to quantify aboveground biomass in forested ecosystems. He will be
recognized May 9 at an awards ceremony during the ASPRS annual meeting in
Tampa, Fla.

Second-year law student Tiana Stowers has been awarded a prestigious
fellowship with the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau. The bureau provides pro bono
legal service in civil matters to low-income clients. Stowers competed with
a large pool of highly qualified applicants, many from top 20 law schools,
who applied for the HLAB summer fellowship. She is one of 12 fellows chosen
for 2007.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3