[Vision2020] LaRocco for Senate!

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Wed Apr 4 17:40:45 PDT 2007

This just in from NewWest.net!  It's going to be an interesting race
with Craig already facing a far-right primary challenge from
anti-immigration drum-pounder Robert Vasquez.

m.

******

Senate Race:
Former Idaho Congressman Larry LaRocco to Run for U.S. Senate

By Jill Kuraitis, 4-04-07

Former Idaho Congressman Larry LaRocco will run for the U.S. Senate
seat now held by Larry Craig in the 2008 election.  LaRocco plans to
announce his bid next Wednesday, April 11.

It's unclear whether Craig will run for re-election or retire at age
61, so LaRocco could be running for an open seat against an unknown
challenger, if not Craig.

The last Democrat who represented Idaho in the U.S. Senate was Frank
Church, for whom LaRocco worked. Church was defeated by Republican
Steve Symms in 1980.

Currently in Washington, D.C. lining up support for his candidacy,
LaRocco told New West that "Washington, D.C. is not working and the
voters of Idaho know it.  We've had 12 years of a 'pay to play'
mentality that needs to get corrected.  The lack of oversight by our
Congress has led us to numerous mess in our domestic and foreign
policy.  Idaho needs a voice that can fix this mess and represent all
of Idaho."

LaRocco also said that he'll need to raise $5 million to be a serious
contender. Idaho Democratic Party regulars say if anyone can raise
it, it's LaRocco. "He brings a great deal of enthusiasm and
experience," said Richard Stallings, state party chairman and a
former congressman. "He's a great campaigner - probably the best
campaigner we've had in this state in a long time."

Stallings and LaRocco served together in the U.S. House.