[Vision2020] Wheaton Story in paper

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 00:55:55 PDT 2007

Comments, anyone?

The Moscow City Council voted to remove Board of Adjustment Chairman Jon
Wheaton from his board position Monday night.

"Issues have been reported relating to compliance with legal requirements
for the job," said Moscow Mayor Nancy Chaney, who brought the issue forward
as a new agenda item Monday night.

Chaney declined to comment further on reasons for Wheaton's removal, saying
it is a personnel issue.

"I regret that he has been unwilling to receive my efforts to communicate,"
she said. "I suggest that he be removed; I do this with sadness."

Wheaton, who has served on the board of adjustment for the past 15 years and
was reappointed chairman by the board this year, said he refused when Chaney
asked him to step down.

"She didn't say why," he said. "The closest she came was saying that I
ruffled somebody's feathers. I thought, 'So they were listening. Good.' "

Wheaton said he refused to sidestep Chaney or "play her game."

"She's got something up her sleeve, but I don't know what that is," he said.
"She wants to be queen, literally, and everybody will bow and beckon to
her." [DMC: Note — do not cross Nancy Chaney. You are a team player as long
as you play the game her way…]

Moscow City Councilman John Weber voted against Wheaton's removal.

"I don't know that the entire (board of adjustment) panel had been spoken to
about his removal," he said. "I didn't think it was something to remove
someone for."

J  :]