[Vision2020] French Train Sets Speed Record

Brent Bradberry brentbradberry at clearwire.net
Tue Apr 3 12:21:22 PDT 2007

Shortly after WW2 I used to ride the PE (Pacific Electric) trains in the
Los Angeles area. I was about 9 or 10, we lived in Lynwood (about 10
miles south of downtown LA), and Grandma lived near the LA coliseum. As
the name suggests, the trains were all electric, and the rail system
extended all through the LA area and eastward into Orange County. For
two bits I could ride the Watts Local from Lynwood to the coliseum,
visit Grandma, ride home, and still have a nickel left for a candy bar
or popsicle.

By the time I graduated from Lynwood High School in 1956, the PE was
just a memory - "collateral damage" as a result of the freeway building
binge which itself was at least a partial result of the interstate
highway system. I wonder what life in LA would be like today if the PE
still existed.

Brent Bradberry