[Vision2020] Amazonian Deforestation and Global Warming:Was:Ed theViking, Greenland, and Global Warming

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Apr 3 10:29:08 PDT 2007

Ted
I agree with most of what Paul has said and am in the same boat as far as time to spend on this issue. I will retire on June 30. I may have more tine spend on this after that. There are a lot of reasons to be concerned about the environment aside from the world coming to an end due to global warming. Oil is a finite resource. It makes sense to work on alternative sources of energy, in addition to developing all available sources of oil to reduce our dependance on Middle Eastern Oil. Air pollution is a health hazard  in some ares particularly for those with asthma. developing more fuel efficient cars and some regulation to control pollution would be in order. Most of the studies you have posted are good, so is the one on water vapor. One of your post indicates that global warming started with thefirst  humans. So we appear to be the problem. The data is out there on global warming.  The effect on it by man may be somewhat questionably, particularly in regard as to what can be
reasonably done about.it. You have presented a lot of information as to the potential problem. What are your solutions.

I for one am unwilling to: reduce the human population by stopping research on medical advances; Soylent Green type solutions; mandated birth control; signing the Kyoto accords(which would hurt the economy of the US); government control of all industry; or ridged controls that would bankrupt most industries or drive prices though the roof( this would be catastrophic to middle income and lower people);ban all animal production( methane is of minor significance) Livestock are not the only source of menthane. It is produced by plant products also. Six or seven years ago two Soil Science Majors I knew were killed by methane in a spud cellar at Pasco. I have inquires out  for a listing of products produced from livestock. There are a lot of medical and health products that come from livestock. A vast aray are also  used in industry. When I get this located I will post.

Things I am willing to do; promote new technology for enery sources in the way of tax incentives and research funding.
This would be for wind geothermal, nuclear energy etc;  promote fuel efficiency; car pooling; tax credits for energy saving devices in the home and business. there are many other things that can be done to find new sources of energy, reduce waste and in general improve the environment. I am in favor of any of these with in the free market system . I am not in favor of curtailing civilization, imposing overwhelming government controls or socializing industry.
Roger