[Vision2020] US Funded Uzbekistan Boils Them Alive: Bush or McCain: Who's Right on Torture?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 15:00:32 PDT 2006

All:

John McCain is not correct that "the new bill on detainees will guarantee
that they will never be tortured again."  The new bill has loopholes that
will de facto allow secret torture to continue and not be exposed in the
legal system.  And in the reality of battlefield conditions in Iraq and
Afghanistan, and elsewhere where US agents operate, legislation from the
US Congress on torture tactics can be ignored... just as the legal and
procedural rules for treating prisoners were already previously ignored in
many cases before this recent politically motivated dog and pony show was
put over on US citizens by the US Congress.

Torture of prisoners is ultimately the responsibility of the upper level
military or intelligence agency (CIA) authorities to prevent, and if no one
in upper level command is prosecuted for these abuses, it sends a message
the conduct can continue.  That's the bottom line reality on this issue:

http://hrw.org/reports/2005/us0905/1.htm

*On their day off people would show up all the time.  Everyone in camp knew
if you wanted to work out your frustration you show up at the PUC
tent.1<http://hrw.org/reports/2005/us0905/1.htm#_ftn1>
In a way it was sport.  The cooks were all U.S. soldiers.  One day [a
sergeant] shows up and tells a PUC to grab a pole.  He told him to bend over
and broke the guy's leg with a mini Louisville Slugger, a metal bat.  He was
the fucking cook.  He shouldn't be in with no PUCs*.
— 82nd Airborne sergeant, describing events at FOB Mercury, Iraq

>From the link above:

 The torture of detainees reportedly was so widespread and accepted that it
became a means of stress relief for soldiers.  Soldiers said they felt
welcome to come to the PUC tent on their off-hours to "Fuck a PUC" or "Smoke
a PUC."  "Fucking a PUC" referred to beating a detainee, while "Smoking a
PUC" referred to forced physical exertion sometimes to the point of
unconsciousness.  The soldiers said that when a detainee had a visible
injury such as a broken limb due to "fucking" or "smoking," an army
physician's assistant would be called to administer an analgesic and fill
out the proper paperwork.  They said those responsible would state that the
detainee was injured during the process of capture and the physician's
assistant would sign off on this.  Broken bones occurred "every other week"
at FOB Mercury.

-----------------
The implication in John McCain's statement that torture was used in the past
against detainees in US or US sponsored custody in pursuing the war on
terror is well documented.  The fact this is even being debated is
astonishing.  The evidence from Abu Ghraib alone, much of which has been
censored by the US media in part due to the unspeakable horror of what
occurred, is enough to settle the question.

US Congressmen knew of torture used by US agents in Iraq from first hand
accounts:

http://hrw.org/reports/2005/us0905/1.htm

>From the link above:

One officer and two non-commissioned officers (NCOs) of the 82nd Airborne
who witnessed abuse, speaking on condition of anonymity, described in
multiple interviews with Human Rights Watch how their battalion in 2003-2004
routinely used physical and mental torture as a means of intelligence
gathering and for stress relief.  One soldier raised his concerns within the
army chain of command for 17 months before the Army agreed to undertake an
investigation, but only after he had contacted members of Congress and
considered going public with the story.

----------

Those who wish to justify torture in pursuing the war on terror should call
a spade a spade.  Torture was used and will continue to be used, despite the
recent US Congressional legislation, not only by the USA, but by US "allies"
Israel, China, Russia, Uzbekistan etc. nations that face Islamic militant
movements they wish to subdue.

Why has the US media given such scant attention to the US complicity in
torture in Uzbekistan?  The reporting that these events occurred comes from
Britain's Ambassador to the Central Asian Republic Of Uzbekistan efforts to
get this story out:
http://www.craigmurray.co.uk/archives/2005/04/us_complicity_w.html

Warning: the links below to the Abu Ghraib prison torture info and photos is
not for the sensitive:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/02/16/abu_ghraib/

http://www.antiwar.com/news/?articleid=2444

---------