[Vision2020] Women Know Your Limits

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Sep 29 21:31:09 PDT 2006

I laughed myself silly over this one.  Part of the humor was ironic -- the
Kirk women I know aren't like this.  Those I've met are smart, funny, and
almost always more educated than I.

Then I remembered something I had really wanted to forget:

Two young Kirk men, the brothers Hicks (Larson and Weston), have a blog that
lays out their beliefs that "men are leaders" and "women are followers," and
that all manner of societal chaos results when men don't lead and women
don't follow.  One, maybe both, of the brothers are NSA students; they both
attend Christ Church.  Reading their take on gender roles and relations was
an experience in nausea and disbelief, but I had to assume they were just
winging it -- out in cyberspace all on their own, young and foolish and, one
would hope, soon to be lovingly and patiently corrected by their elders.  (I
don't know how to include a link to the blog, but I imagine a quick search
would come up with it).

Now the video clip doesn't seem so funny.  But I long for a good, clean,
harmless laugh, and so I appeal to those Kirkers in Visionland:  Do you
believe Larson and Weston are on target?  Is this consistent with what NSA
teaches?  With what Christ Church teaches?  And if not (for which I'd utter
thanks and praise), will their elders sit down with them and explain the
myriad errors of their exegesis (including the significant and historically
heretical view that the Son in Trinity is eternal subordinate to the Father
in Trinity)?  Maybe they're unaware of their proteges' ruminations on the
matter -- my hope is that Christ Church's leaders will take pains to guide
these young men into a more correct understanding of Scripture.  I hope I'm
right.

Am I right?  Because if I'm not, the video isn't very amusing; exaggeration
and silliness don't mitigate an underlying error, and I would feel awful for
laughing.  On the other hand, if the church doesn't teach the "leaders and
followers" views of the brothers Hicks, I'll breathe a sigh of relief and
continue to laugh 'til I'm hoarse at a silly, over-the-top slice o' video
hyperbole.

keely