[Vision2020] No Speculation: "Deal" Bans Habeas Corpus, If It Becomes Law

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Tue Sep 26 14:39:42 PDT 2006

Ted, I don't think it is speculation that habeas corpus provisions are being weakened, explicitly, as regards foreign detainees in the war on terrorism.  Given what seems to be written in the compromise bill, that also included provisions that were less than President Bush hoped-for on the re-deining of the Geneva Convention language on what constitutes torture, it is clear that habeas rights are being eliminated legislatively by the Congress.  We shall see whether the Supreme Court will find those provisions constitutional.  Bruce