[Vision2020] No Large-scale Strip Mining

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Sep 23 08:46:18 PDT 2006

>From today's (September 23, 2006) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special
thanks to Jim Mital, vice president, Protect Our Water, Moscow

-----------------------------

No large-scale strip mining

Recently, a rural neighbor of mine was visited by a woman offering to take
measurements of her well and to test her water. She claimed to be doing a
study for the University of Idaho and the Palouse Basin Aquifer Committee.
Fortunately, my neighbor was skeptical and pressed her for more information.
It turned out that she was actually employed by Hydro Logic, Inc. of Boise,
who had been hired by the Naylors.

This appears to be just another chapter in the continuing saga of the Ralph
Naylor Farms LLC to cover up the real purpose for its proposed operation
just north of Moscow. First they claimed irrigated farming, then clay
processing; now they want to develop an industrial strip mine. The Idaho
Department of Water Resources rejected the Naylor water request last year
based on unsubstantiated and erroneous information in their application. Now
they're at it again trying to get a conditional use permit from Latah
County.

The proposed Naylor strip mining operation will have numerous negative
effects to our area, including water, noise and light pollution, safety
issues from increased truck traffic, noxious weed infestations, decreased
property values, and significant health issues. The processing of such
materials requires large amounts of water, and the containment, treatment,
and runoff plans in the Naylor proposal appear woefully vague and
inadequate.

Please attend the hearing at 6 p.m. Monday at Moscow High School to let the
Latah County commissioners know we do not want a large-scale strip mining
operation on the Palouse. The Naylor proposal is fraught with violations of
the county comprehensive zoning ordinances and should be rejected. Ask the
commissioners to protect your rights and tell them we don't want a large
mining operation in Latah County harming the area's water supply and quality
of life.

Jim Mital, vice president, Protect Our Water, Moscow

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho

"If the law is to be respected it must first be respectable.  There will
never be respect for our laws without enforcement, equal enforcement."

- dick Sherwin (May 3, 2006)