[Vision2020] The City This Week...An Occasional (very) Column about City of Moscow Activities

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Fri Sep 22 14:06:16 PDT 2006

Dear Visionaries,

I have been encouraged by the interesting exchanges about city activities on this listserve and the civil (generally) manner in which it has been conducted and want to put my semi-official toe in the water again.

I appreciated Bill London's original invitation to use this forum as a way to encourage people, involve people and generally communicate. I like that function of this listserve best. Thus, I will TRY to do at least one of these each month and if there is more that comes on our agenda that seems to merit additional encouragement outside the usual sources, I will try to do that.

Thank you all for you patience and I appreciate your care and concern for Moscow.

All the best,

Linda Pall
Moscow City COuncil

COMING UP!!!  September 25-29

Please take part is some or all of these events. Note: The time for the play is actually 7:30 PM NOT 8 PM as listed below and on posters around town.

ALSO: everything except the play is FREE, FREE, FREE. Please come and lend your voice to these very interesting sessions, ESPECIALLY the Tuesday, 5:30 PM Diversity Training. Every employee of Moscow from the last person hired to help with ditches in the water department to the City Supervisor will be undergoing a re-training on Tuesday. The Mayor and Council will also be involved.

City of Moscow presents

Racial Equality and

Inclusive Communities Week

September 25-29, 2006

Join us for opportunities to celebrate the threads that make the fabric our community unique!

All of these events are FREE unless otherwise noted. Please take part!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

9:30 a.m. Human Rights Day at the Market: Building Bridges
with our Latino Neighbors. Latah County Human Rights Task Force

Location: Farmer's Market, Friendship Square, Downtown Moscow.

8:00 P.M. "Cow-Tipping and Other Signs of Stress" the travails of a multi-cultural life. Sirius Idaho Theatre, Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre, 508 S. Main, adults, $15; seniors $10; students, $6.

Monday, September 25, 2006

6:30 p.m. MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanos de Aztlan) and the Idaho Community Action Network (ICAN) present Forum on the DREAM act. University of Idaho Office of Multicultural Affairs.

Location: Moscow City Council Chambers, City Hall, Third and Washington.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Universal City Employee Diversity Training

Presenter: Jim McNall, Idaho Counties Risk Management Program sponsored by the City of Moscow Human Resources Department.

Location: Moscow City Council Chambers, City Hall, Third and Washington.

5:30 p.m. Diversity Training for the Community (repeat of presentation to city employees, the public is invited to attend)

Presenter: Jim McNall, Idaho Counties Risk Management Program

Location: Moscow City Council Chambers, City Hall, Third and Washington

6:00 p.m. Mayor's UI Student Diversity Leadership Dinner (by invitation)

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

6:30 p.m. Informational Forum on HJR 2 Proposed Constitutional Amendment concerning Marriage

Location: UI Law School Courtroom Sponsored by University of Idaho.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

6:30 p.m. Soul Food Potluck sponsored by the City of Moscow, the Moscow Chamber of Commerce, African Free Inc., CHEER, Inc., and the Black Student Union of the University of Idaho.

Location: 1912 Center, 410 East Third Street.

Friday, September 29, 2006

6:30 p.m. Social Justice Forum - Moving Beyond Privilege sponsored by the Moscow Human Rights Commission

Location: 1912 Center, 410 East Third Street.

8:00 P.M. "Cow-Tipping and Other Signs of Stress" the travails of a multi-cultural life. Sirius Idaho Theatre, Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre, 508 S. Main, adults, $15; seniors $10; students, $6.

Sponsors of Racial Diversity and Inclusive Communities Week:

City of Moscow, City of Moscow Human Rights Commission, Sirius Idaho Theatre, University of Idaho, University of Idaho Office of Multicultural Affairs, University of Idaho Black Student Union, Latah County Human Rights Task Force, CHEER, Inc. (Center for Health, Education and Economic Resources, Inc.), African Free, Inc., and the National League of Cities.