[Vision2020] City Council on the Beebe Rezone tonight

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Tue Sep 19 09:55:09 PDT 2006

Nils, your characterization of Nancy Chaney as "siding each time with the
side that would keep any decision from getting made" is an unfair
characterization.

Just as she did two weeks ago, Nancy consistently voted to deny any proposal
that did not deal with the parking issue contained in the issue at hand each
evening (parking mitigation for NSA to get its conditional use permit, on
the one hand; parking mitigation for the rezone of industrial land between
downtown and the University).  In essence, she recognizes that adding
concentrated, dense, people-heavy uses to our downtown business zone, which
does not require any parking at all and is the only such zone in the City,
is short sighted and bad planning.  Parking needs to be addressed
satisfactorily BEFORE we make the downtown parking problem bigger.

Where you and I disagree is on whether to add to the parking problem before
solving it.  I see no reason to increase parking problems by substantially
increasing the areas that need NOT provide parking, as you advocated last
night, before solving the parking issue.   Generally speaking, solving
problems before they get bigger is the wiser course.  Purposely making the
problem bigger before dealing with it is unwise, and Nancy Chaney was astute
in refusing to go along with the varying proposals last night, all of which
failed to address it.

So long as developers continue to bring projects before the City that seek
to increase the parking demand downtown without ameliorating it, those
projects should be modified and required to provide for their own parking.

Obviously, it is clear that a long-term solution is preferable, as you also
advocate, Nils, and I agree with you.

But I cannot agree that adding to the parking problem, before solving it, is
wise policy.  That is a particularly short-sighted and imprudent public
policy direction.

Especially when Proposition 2 is on the horizon and very likely to pass,
expanding the downtown, parking-free CBD zone without requiring an
off-setting obligation to provide parking on-site for the new area is a
foolish move.  That policy choice seems likely only to enrich those
developers who get preferential zoning that releases them from their current
obligation to provide parking, because under Proposition 2 they will never
be forced to provide parking at their own expense, as they now are required
under the current zoning.   The parking problem is generally acknowledged by
City staff and the downtown retail businesses that are the core of the area.
The expense of dealing with the parking issue will be shifted to us, the
taxpayers, and to those whose property rights are most effected -- and
values decreased -- by the transfer of current parking obligations of the
grain elevator landowners to their neighbors (most particularly, downtown)
by this unwise rezone without parking mitigation.

Hopefully, our Council can figure out that the rezone with a condition
requiring parking will pass, or at the very least get three votes and allow
our Mayor to break the tie and allow the redevelopment of that area to go
forward.  Without such a condition, the project should be voted down, and
the City should expeditously deal with the parking issue for the entire
Central Business District.

I say all this, while commending Mr. Beebe for undertaking a redevelopment
project that has much potential.  But like all other developers, except for
those in the downtown, I think he ought to retain the burden of providing
parking to his eventual users and charging them for it, rather than foisting
those costs on his eventual neighbors and the taxpayers.  Seeking to rezone
the grain elevators to downtown essentially seems to be a means of avoiding
his parking obligations, and that should not be allowed to happen.

Bruce Livingston