[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for September 15, 2006

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 15 05:53:15 PDT 2006

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for September 15, 2006 from
UI President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
Sept. 15, 2006

Dear Friends,

We are having a pep rally on campus today at 11:30 in front of the Commons.
It's just one of many activities on campus this weekend as we celebrate Ag
Days and Dads' Weekend.  Three Vandal sports teams play at home; soccer at 3
p.m. today against Utah Valley State, volleyball takes on Washington State
tonight at 7, and our football home opener is tomorrow at 2 p.m. in the Dome
against Idaho State. It is wonderful to see so many alumni and friends on
campus to renew their ties to the University and show their Vandal pride.

Congratulations to Angie Dorman who last week received a national teaching
award, the No Child Left Behind 2006 American Star of Teaching for the state
of Washington.

Angie is a history teacher at Warden High School. Her community has a large
number of migrant worker families and many of her students end their formal
education at high school. But Angie constantly promotes higher expectations.
She has helped guide many students to college, including 12 to the
University of Idaho with the help of the College Assistance Migrant Program
and Idaho-CAMP Diversity Scholarships.

Angie has high expectations for herself, too. She currently is working on a
doctoral degree in history here at Idaho.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The severe forest fire season in the Northwest has made some University of
Idaho students late for school. Eleven student firefighters have reported to
the University that they are currently on the fire lines and will make a
delayed return to classes. "We are willing to do everything we can to help
these students," said Idaho Registrar Nancy Krogh. "When we are notified by
the student, we forward the information on to the student's instructors,
university residence hall, financial aid, student accounts and the Dean of
Students' Office." If a student decides not to return for the semester,
tuition and fees are refunded. "We encourage the student firefighters, or a
family member, to contact us so we know they do plan on returning," said
Krogh. To notify the University, call the Registrar's Office at
(208) 885-6731.

Jeanne M. Hogarth, program manager for the Consumer Education and Research
Section of the Federal Reserve Board, will present two lectures as part of
the Margaret Ritchie Distinguished Lecture Series. A free, public
presentation, "Where's the American Dream?" is Thursday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m.
at the University Inn-Best Western.
A campus lecture on Friday, Sept. 22 at 10:30 a.m. in the Administration
Auditorium is titled "Credit: Who's in Charge?"

The 2007 Vandal football calendars are now on sale.  The calendars are
$19.95 and available online at www.vandalstuff.org with UPS shipping to
anywhere in the U.S.

You also can purchase the calendars at the University of Idaho Bookstore or
at Stein's IGA in Rathdrum, Kellogg and Osborn. The calendar features images
of Coach Dennis Erickson, the Vandal Game Day experience and numerous
players from the 2005 season. Profits from the sale of this calendar will be
donated to the Vandal Scholarship Fund. VSF provides student-athlete
scholarships to Vandals in all academic fields. To learn more about the
Vandal Scholarship Fund contact Shelly Femreite at (208) 667-2588 or visit
www.vandalscholarshipfund.com.

CORRECTION:  In regards to last week's item on the Pension Protection Act of
2006, commonly called the IRA Rollover Bill, the correct age of eligibility
for a person to make a tax-free rollover from an IRA account directly to the
University of Idaho is 70 and one-half at the time the transfer is made. For
more information contact Ed McBride, mcbride at uidaho.edu or Heidi Linehan
hlinehan at uidaho.edu at Gift Planning Services, (208) 885-7069, or toll-free
to (866) 671-7041.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3