[Vision2020] One Should Have Right To Object To 'Under God'

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 16:18:28 PDT 2006

Donovan et. al.

Answers to some of your comments included below:

On 9/12/06, Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ted,
>
> You wrote that it promotes, "a specific form (t)hat form of religion as
> 'monotheism,' "
>
> So your whole argument is based on the prospect that there is not an "s"
> on the end of the word "God"? Seems rather silly to me.

You know that putting an "s" on "God" just changes the religious
perspective being promoted by an institution of the State.  The pledge would
have to be worded to include all religions (and no religion) to not be
promotion of some religious beliefs to the exclusion of others, or other
points of view.

 As far as I know, people that believe in One True God also believe there
> are other gods. And obviously people that believe in multiple Gods believe
> that one would be in charge of the welfare of the United States, so it can
> be that God.
>

> "Either you take a firm stand on separation of church and state or you do
> not."
>
> That is an illogical statement called a  false dilemma, Ted.  I can  very
> well  understand the  difference between a King that declares himself the
> head of the only Church in the Country and a word being recited by choice in
> a pledge. I can understand that a ruling by the Archbishop of the Boston
> Disease should not have the rule of law in Boston. I can understand that
> difference, Ted. Can you?

We can disagree on what a firm stand on separation of church and State is.
I think having the State by law word a pledge for all students in public
schools (or almost all) to recite, that promotes one religious perspective,
leaving others out, is not taking a firm stand.

 You cannot realistically completely separate the belief in God  from a
> culture based on it. It is not possible. Should we rip out the Crosses,
> Stars of David, and statues of Buddha displayed in PUBLIC cemeteries? Why
> not, it is using public space to promote a spiritual belief?
>
> Should we not use public dollars to hire military priests? Should we deny
> Priests the right to visit public hospitals for last rites? Should we deny
> church services to be administered to those living in publicly funded
> nursing homes that cannot leave? Even our entire form of Government was
> based on the 12 tribes of the Iroquois's, established by a religious leader.

We can assume that crosses, stars of david, and buddhas are placed in
cemeteries based on the preferences of the dead.  No one is coerced in these
cases.  And military priests and priests in public hospitals are there to
serve those of that faith.  Indeed, "free exercise."  However, their work
should not include coercing those of differing religious viewpoints take a
pledge to serve another religious orientation.

 "Apparently you have not read the 9th Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
> decision that declared the words "under God" in the pledge to be
> unconstitutional?"
>
> Well Ted, if we are not allowed to include God in our government, then we
> must assume that such a decision is not divinely guided, and therefore is a
> flawed decision, by its own self admission. A circular argument if you will.
>

> "I'm sure you've read this statement below, the First Amendment to the US
> Constitution:
>
> *'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
> prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
> or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
> petition the Government for a redress of grievances.' "*
>
> And since nobody is forced to say the pledge their rights are not
> abridged. If saying the pledge is a religious act, as you claim, denying
> others the right to say it is "prohibiting the free exercise thereof," is it
> not, Ted?

You are wrong.  Those who have a differing religious orientation than what
the pledge states are having their rights violated because the State, in
mandating by law the wording of the pledge to promote one religious
orientation over another, is making a "law respecting an establishment of
religion," which is unconstitutional.  In effect, the State is saying it is
going to promote a certain religious perspective, and not include others, in
a pledge that is worded a certain way by law, meant to be recited by all (or
almost all) in State institutions devoted to forming the minds of youth.

The pressures on children, who generally are expected to obey their teachers
and adult leaders, to recite the pledge with everyone else, are so great,
that the wording of the pledge amounts to State coercion to comply with a
specific religious perspective, excluding other perspectives, despite the
technicality that the student can refuse.  Why should those of differing
religious perspectives have to remain silent or leave the room during the
pledge?  Why not allow the pledge sometimes to be worded to include other
religious perspectives, sometimes worded "one nation under Allah, or Buddha,
or the Goddess," for students who more follow these religious orientations?
 The fact these alternatives are not allowed in the reciting of the pledge
speaks volumes.  By allowing the pledge to be the "free exercise" of a
certain religious perspective via a State sanctioned wording and recitation
in public schools, other religious perspectives are being denied their "free
exercise" in this State sanctioned recitation, unless the pledge allows the
wording to include "under Allah, or Buddha, or the Goddess, etc."

No one is blocked from private prayer in public school.  I think all major
religions and any religion of any student in a public school should be
studied in depth in the school, academically, but not from the point of view
of taking pledges that state the State sanctions one religious perspective
leaving others out.
------

Ted Moffett