[Vision2020] Protecting the Sanctity of Marriage From Heterosexuals (Steve Horowitz)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Sep 13 12:03:47 PDT 2006

Protecting the sanctity of marriage from heterosexuals
By Steve Horowitz (November 22, 2004)

The Christian Taliban went 11-for-11 on state gay marriage bans on election
day, so they're feeling ... worried.

Apparently too many straight folks (I'm looking at you, Britney Spears!)
have been getting divorced "at the drop of a hat," as a lawyer with the
conservative Alliance Defense Fund puts it in an Associated Press article.

(Full disclosure: I personally got divorced at the drop of a hat 18 years
ago. I tried to pick up the hat, but my wife's lawyer had already seized
it.)

So now conservative groups, ever-alert for non-existent threats, have
decided that the REAL threat to marriage is the people getting married. And
they're not going to stand idly by while heterosexuals they don't know live
their lives as they see fit. They're going to interfere, and try to get the
government to also interfere, because they are conservative, and they favor
limited government.

As the AP reports:

"A bill pending in Michigan's legislature would encourage premarital
education; Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and his wife have invited 1,000
couples to join them in a Valentine's Day covenant marriage ceremony in
which they would voluntarily reduce their options for a quick divorce."

(Note to self: Think up witty Valentine's I Heart Huckabees line.)

But government-sponsored Moonie-style mass ceremonies are just the
beginning, according to the AP. Also on the agenda: cohabitation, better tax
benefits for married couples, a more positive portrayal of marriage in
textbooks (About time they got rid of that anti-family "Dick and Jane"
propaganda!), "deliberate childlessness," and -- I swear the article says
this -- "policies aiding young college graduates so they could afford to
marry sooner."

As the father of a young college graduate, I might question focusing
government resources on the young graduate marriage problem instead of, say,
the weak job market problem, but remember, I'm just a divorced person.

Still, I'm reminded of a History Channel program I saw recently about the
SS, the Nazi's elite family values/mass murder organization. Under Heinrich
Himmler, single SS officers were "strongly encouraged" to marry and start
producing little Aryans as quickly and prolifically as possible. For the
good of the nation. And to promote morality and strong families. For as
Hitler himself said, the Nazi government "regards Christianity as the
foundation of our national morality, and the family as the basis of national
life."

Not that I'm making any kind of connection here.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho

"The greatness of every mighty organization embodying an idea in this world
lies in the religious fanaticism and intolerance with which, fanatically
convinced of its own right, it intolerantly imposes its will against all
others."

-	Adolf Hitler (1939)