[Vision2020] One Should Have Right To Object To 'Under God'

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Sat Sep 9 17:13:57 PDT 2006

.But the tendency of the Pledge is to emphasize that dimension

of our existence to the exclusion of all else.

-- Princess Sushitushi

Me:

This is what I find less than compelling about your argument: "tendency,"
and "emphasize."  That's a "slippery slope" argument to the power of two, in
so far as you want to say that the pledge "is idolatrous."  Do you have any
historical hermeneutics regarding what "I pledge allegiance too" originally
meant? I would sincerely find that interesting. A related question:  Would
it be wrong to pledge allegiance in anyway to a U.S. court and the decision
of the Judge, since there is a tendency to emphasize allegiance to our
judicial system that might sort of look idolatrous to a finicky
fundamentalist?  Recall the problems caused by a linguistically demarcated
hierarchy of authority in the movie A Few Good Men.  You are to fear and
respect the State, an authority establish by God, a minister of God to
punish evil and encourage those who do good (Rom 13).

Thanks

Michael Metzler

Don't forget to follow the national scandal: www.poohsthink.com
<http://www.poohsthink.com/>