[Vision2020] I thought you might be interested in this article

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Fri Sep 1 14:41:44 PDT 2006

Well Bill, you can state that the Board election structure is
anti-democratic and you can state that the purpose of the "vote per
share" model is to keep control away from the masses - but that does
not make it so.  In point of fact, the "vote per share model" is
intended to provide protection to shareholders based on the amount of
capital at risk - that is, the more shares you have (the more assets
you have invested), the more votes you have.  It is a pro-rata
model.  Your "collective" can easily control any corporation it
wishes.  Just pool your resources and buy a majority of the stock and
you can elect the board and appoint the management.  And I would be
willing to bet that once you got control, you would want your
ownership shares to vote on a pro-rata basis.

Think of it like a fire and casualty insurance policy for one of your
assets - the more valuable your car, home or other insured asset, the
more the premium is going to cost (because the cost of repair is
going to be higher).  Under your model, all fire and casualty
insurance policy premiums would be the same.

Board elections couldn't really be more fair.  The more of a stake
you have in the corporation, the more you can direct the activities
of the company (ie, elect board members and officers).  Since you
have more to gain or lose, based on your interest in the firm, you
have more say - on a pro-rata basis.