[Vision2020] Deterrence, Costs and Benefits of Death Penalty

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Sat Oct 28 12:44:39 PDT 2006

Gary, it has been a busy week for me, and I apologize for failing to respond in a more timely way to your kind words about my former client.  I appreciate that very much.

I understand your feelings about Mr. Duncan, and the seeming strength of the case against him.  The difficulties in limiting the appeals process to cases that seem certain are why I would not support diminishing the protections of the appeals process in certain situations.  It will probably be borne out that the Duncan case is as strong as it seems, for the reasons that you set forth.  The difficulty in shortening the process is the test for what is certain.  You cite the confluence of an eyewitness, a confession, and DNA in one case as a recipe for certainty.  It seems certain in this case that the eyewitness is not mistaken, but in 52% of the wrongful convictions in "Actual Innocence" the eyewitness was mistaken.  Similarly, 23% of the "confessions" turned out to be "false confessions" in the same study.  The DNA certainly adds an element of surety, so long as the DNA is not planted evidence that is the result of police or prosecutorial misconduct (or even incompetence).  Such misconduct is of course rare, (if a little less so in Cook County Illinois, or Los Angeles County California), but in the cases where the wrong person was convicted, such misconduct appears in 31% (by police) and 26% (by prosecutor) of the cases.  (The numbers add up to more than 100% because frequently several of these factors occur in the same case).  The difficulty for me is not the horrible, high profile and seemingly certain case you describe, but the cases that have the same kind of evidence -- that are thought to be "certain" -- and yet turn out to be wrong.  I know of no way to shorten the process by definitions that do not include the cases of the wrongly convicted.

But given your overall expressions of what you would do, i.e., the circumstances in which others in this country and community would prefer to race to execution but you would not, I will agree to disagree about Duncan and commend you on your skepticism toward the death penalty in those other instances -- where it is given in this country, but you would not.

To the rest of you, I give you George Will, who upon reading "Actual Innocence" expressed grave reservations about the use of the death penalty in this country and asked why those who berate government as inefficient and incompetent are so trusting in the use of government to execute citizens.   After all, Will noted, "Conservatives, especially, should draw this lesson from the book: Capital punishment, like the rest of the criminal justice system, is a government program, so skepticism is in order."

Bruce Livingston