[Vision2020] North American union

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Wed Oct 25 10:14:34 PDT 2006

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Oct 24 21:06:56 PDT 2006

Yummmm . . . canadian-bacon enchiladas, scrapple with pommes frites,
Molson
and a plate of huevos rancheros with Cincinnatti-style chili.  I
think we
might be on to something . . .

keely

Sorry, Keely. Canadians don't eat what Americans call "Canadian
bacon," they eat "back bacon." Canadian bacon is ordinary bacon. And
you don't get "pommes frites" in Canada either. Quebeckers call them
"patates frites." In Mexico they're "papas fritas." But they serve
"pommes frites" all over Europe from Sweden to Spain.

And while I'm on a linguistic culinary trip, Danes don't eat "Danish
pastry," they eat "wienerbrød" (Vienna bread). And white bread is
"franskbrød" (French bread).

Bon appétit!

Ralph

(I hope the diacritical marks print OK.)