[Vision2020] The death penalty....a deterent?????

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 23 10:14:39 PDT 2006

Kai wrote:
"I see, too, you've tossed the gender thing in with your "paternalistically"
comment. Ummmm, excuse me, there are plenty of women who feel the same way."

<sigh>  Kai, before you freak out over gender, perhaps you should get out
your dictionary:
"Main Entry: pa.ter.nal.ism
Pronunciation: p&-'t&r-n&-"li-z&m
Function: noun
1 : a system under which an authority undertakes to supply needs or regulate
conduct of those under its control in matters affecting them as individuals
as well as in their relations to authority and to each other"
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/paternalism

I accept your apology  :-)

You also wrote:
"The greatest good for the greatest number makes sense. There is no sense in
the least good for the least number, now is there?"

So, can we then assume you support Mills' utilitarianism?  If so, then I
think we can have some real fun discussing ethical doctrines -- and their
flaws -- here on the Viz  :-)   Somehow, based on your V2020 posts, I never
would have pegged you as a moral relativist. . .

But, I don't want to hog the philosophy debate here, so you can go first,
and hopefully we'll have some input from some of our other resident
philosophers as well  :-)

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****