[Vision2020] Same-Sex Couples May Enjoy Blessing

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Oct 23 07:05:10 PDT 2006

>From the "Nation in Brief" column of today's (October 23, 2006) Spokesman
Review -

Same-sex couples may enjoy blessing

Episcopal parishes in Connecticut may bless same-sex couples, the state's
bishop announced over the weekend.

Bishop Andrew Smith's decision does not create an official prayer service
for the blessings and does not allow Episcopal clergy to officiate at civil
unions.  But it allows parishes to acknowledge gay and lesbian couples who
have had a civil union granted by the state.

"What I have permitted is a pastoral ministry of blessing, which does not
mimic a wedding ceremony," Smith said Saturday after the diocese's two-day
annual convention ended.

Smith said he acted because Connecticut began recognizing civil unions last
year, but there has been no movement on the issue by the national Episcopal
Church.  Each diocese handles the issue differently, with some allowing
parishes to decide on their own whether they should bless gay couples and
others barring the practice.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho

"Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in
Albany, Georgia and St. Augustine, Florida, and many other campaigns of the
Civil Rights Movement.  Many of these courageous men and women were fighting
for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and
I salute their contributions."

- Coretta Scott King (March 30, 1998)