[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for October 20, 2006

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 20 05:48:02 PDT 2006

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for October 20, 2006 from UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Oct. 20, 2006

Dear Friends,

This has been another remarkable week of national recognition for the
accomplishments of our faculty, staff and students. These are wonderful
stories, and I take great pleasure and pride in sharing them with you.

Assistant Professor of Music Steven Spooner and Hungarian pianist Adam
Gyorgy performed on campus Wednesday to kick off their national tour to
celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Hungarian Revolution. They perform at
New York's Carnegie Hall on Sunday, and in Washington, D.C. at the Katzen
Arts Center on Oct. 28. The concert tour is sponsored by the Hungarian
Consulate in the U.S. and the American Embassy in Budapest.

Our National Institute for Advanced Transportation Technology, led by
Professor Michael Kyte of the College of Engineering, has been named a Tier
1 University Transportation Center for the impacts the center and its staff
have made on transportation issues in the Northwest. There were 36 research
universities from around the nation who applied for Tier 1 funding; Idaho's
NIATT was one of 10 selected. The award provides funding of $1 million per
year for a minimum of three years.

And yesterday, Forest Resources Professor Gary Machlis was recognized as the
first Canon Professor of Conservation at an event in Washington, D.C.
Machlis will direct the Canon National Parks Science Scholars Program, which
he helped establish in 1997. Students in the program conduct innovative
research that significantly contributes to the management and preservation
of national parks. He also will teach graduate courses on conservation,
sustainability science and organizational leadership at Idaho, deliver
public lectures and workshops across the nation and internationally, and
engage in scientific research related to conservation.
Canon is one of the largest corporate supporters of conservation and
environmental education, and the company created the professorship to
educate and develop future conservation scientists and leaders.

Congratulations to all. Your achievements have their roots at the University
of Idaho, but reach out to the state, region, nation and the world.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

A celebration of life honoring Professor Jeff Braatne is Oct. 22. Braatne,
assistant professor of Floodplain Ecology in the Department of Fish and
Wildlife Resources, passed away Oct. 14 after a two-year struggle with
cancer. As a stream and riparian ecologist, Braatne's research focused on
the dynamic nature of terrestrial-aquatic linkages in both temperate and
tropical environments. He was particularly interested in the response of
organisms to changing environmental conditions. A mass for Braatne is
scheduled Sunday at 1 p.m. in the St. Augustine Catholic Center. A
celebration of his life will take place following the mass at the 1912
Building, 412 E. Third St. in Moscow. In lieu of flowers, individuals may
make contributions to the Jeff Braatne, PhD Memorial Fund, c/o Gift
Administration Office, University of Idaho, P.O. Box 443147, Moscow, ID
83844-3147. For more information, contact Karla Makus at 885-4006 or e-mail
kmakus at uidaho.edu.

Nationally distinguished speaker and author Todd Whitaker is the keynote
speaker of the Idaho Association of Elementary School Principals (IAESP)
conference Thursday, Oct. 26 at the Coeur d'Alene Resort. His presentation,
"What Great Principals Do Differently: 15 Things That Matter Most," also
launches the University of Idaho Coeur d'Alene professional development
series for principals. University of Idaho Coeur d'Alene offers 22 hours of
instruction to meet State Board of Education certification requirements.
For more information on the classes, call (208) 667-2588.

Gene '52, '54 and Marlene Easton recently established the Dr. Gene and
Marlene Easton Scholarship Endowment in Honor of Charley and Lucy Easton.
The scholarship will be awarded to students pursuing a career in
agriculture.

"My wife, Marlene, and I are honoring my parents, Charley and Lucy Easton,"
said Gene. "They, like so many small farmers in the terrible years of the
Depression, worked so hard to feed their children and provide an education.
My father, even though he had to stop high school during his sophomore year
to work and save his folk's farm, always encouraged me to complete college.
Through this endowment, we will provide scholarships to deserving students
to help in their agricultural career."  If you would like learn more about
establishing an endowment at the University of Idaho, contact Ed McBride or
Heidi Linehan at (208) 885-7069 or visit www.uidaho.edu/givetoidaho/pgs.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Seeya at the game, Vandals.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho
UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3