[Vision2020] Duncan plea deal

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 20 06:43:52 PDT 2006

Bruce, I am not currently arguing the deterrent effect of the death penalty with Joe. I am simply trying to figure where he comes by the notion that "A long life in prison is far worse than a short death" considering the seeming evidence to the contrary. Your input and expertise on this topic is much appreciated.

As I have said before on this forum, I find it difficult to believe that no angry or disgruntled potential killer has been given pause in his actions by the thought of harsh punishment. I find it hard to envision the method by which you could prove this type of negative.

Even if it were determined beyond all shadow of a doubt that there was no deterrent effect in the death penalty I would still be in favor of capital punishment for a very select few, Duncan being a prime example. Confessed, multiple murdering deviants such as him (along with Malvo, Creech, Ridgeway, Rader, etc.) should be put down as expeditiously as possible due to the danger they present to prison guards and fellow prisoners to say nothing of the general population, should they manage to get loose. If the argument is brought up that it's cheaper to sentence these offenders to LWOP, I would suggest that perhaps the appeal and review process should be streamlined to hasten these vermin's passing. When wild animals wantonly kill a human we do not lock them up for the rest of their natural lives. We destroy them as quickly and humanely as possible. I do not believe that these types of killers should be shown any greater courtesy.

gc