[Vision2020] Frederick Douglass on Slavery and Christianity

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Oct 19 12:49:01 PDT 2006

Visionaires,

I was fortunate in high school and college to read the autobiography of
Frederick Douglass and many of his other works, and this post, sent to my
friend Tom Hansen by a friend of his, is as prophetic and  powerful today as
it was when written, and they certainly contrast to those written by our
Confederate apologists, Doug Wilson and Steve Wilkins.

I can hear some folks saying, "My God, when will she-they-the Intoleristas
drop the slavery thing???!!"  My answer to that, and I think I can fairly
assume others agree, is that we'll stop protesting Wilson/Wilkins'
pseudo-scholarship on the issue when they come to their senses and express
their regret for having written such garbage.  Until then, it's fair game
and utterly relevant -- after all, if privilege and power blind you to
historically verified oppression and abuse from more than a century ago,
you're not likely to give a rip about oppression and abuse in the world in
which you live.  And ignoring Jesus' call to contend for the weak and poor
among us is always -- eternally -- relevant.

What follows is from a conservative Christian in the American South, a
friend of Tom's I'm eager someday to meet: