[Vision2020] Crimes Against Women and Divorce

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Oct 16 14:51:42 PDT 2006

Greetings:

A response to my post on misogyny appeared to imply that there is a
connection between divorce and cohabitation on the one hand and hatred of
women on the other.

To test this hypothesis let us begin in Asia.  The highest divorce rate in
Asia is found in the tiny Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan where the Harvard
educated king is married to four sisters.  When I traveled there in 1999 I
discovered that the Bhutanese were not embarrassed by their high divorce
rate.  What it meant to them was that their women were free to pursue their
interests as they saw fit, which was evident in the large number of
successful businesswomen.  Compared to India, where the divorce rate is low
and women have far fewer freedoms, crimes against women, especially new
brides, are frequent.

Let us turn next to Europe where cohabitation rates and divorce rates are
high.  Again one finds far fewer cases of domestic violence and abuse
against women.  The fact that many European women go topless on the beaches
and in the woods (or in even a dining hall at Odense University while I was
trying to concentrate on my meal!) incites European men to a very low rate
of sex crime and little abuse of women in general.

Finally, let us turn to the Hebrew Bible which contains some grisly
accounts of violence against women. Haggar is left to die in the desert
when a hen pecked Abraham is forced to act by his wife Sarah.  In December,
2003, I gave Doug Wilson an opportunity to denounce Abraham and Sarah, but
he declined to do so.  So much for family values and respect for women of
color!

One night in the land of Benjamin a Levite and his concubine find
themselves in Gibeah, where they were put up by a kindly old man. (Judges
19) As in Sodom the men of the city come and demand their assumed right to
abuse the stranger.  The old man offers them his virgin daughter and the
Levite's concubine, but the Levite insists that only his woman be
taken.  The men of Gibeah rape her to death and the next day the Levite
divided up her body into twelve pieces and sent them to the tribes of
Israel. The Israelite leaders met at Mizpah and decided that the Benjamites
should be punished for their "abomination."

The fact that Lot also offered his daughters to the mob to save his guests
from a Sodomite attack shows that the main issue here is not the abuse of
women but the honor of men. It is significant to note that God does not
condemn these acts of violence, and there is now a shrine to Saint Lot at
the alleged spot where his daughters had sex with him.

Today some Muslim families continue the abomination called honor killing,
in which a daughter who has been raped is killed to save the honor of the
family.  Few divorces and even fewer incidences of cohabitation in this
society.

I believe the hypothesis is not confirmed.

Nick Gier