[Vision2020] polarizing and the two-party system

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 08:07:07 PDT 2006

> Ultimately, your concept would eliminate true representation.  These
> representatives would speak for their parties and not the people that
> elected (or as suggested by you "did not elect") them.

I'm not against the two-party system. I'm just suggesting that our
system is structured so that it will not provide greater diversity in
politics, and will occasionally produce truly perverse outcomes.
Proportional representation solves this problem, but adds the problem
of not ensuring regional representation.

Take, for instance, a district where 25% of the voters vote for the
Green Party candidate, 35% for the Democrat, and 40% for the
Republican. Who wins the election? The Republican. Which policies
would the majority of the voters in this district like to see enacted?
My guess is, policies closer to those of the Democrat or the Green
Party candidate. Which policies are actually enacted? Those of the
Republican.

There are major electoral advantages, under the winner-take-all
system, of consolidating the vote into as few voting blocs as
possible. Expecting that the parties won't take advantage of this is
ridiculous.

-- ACS