[Vision2020] Capito, R-W.Va., Testifies Before Former Foley Chief Of Staff Fordham

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 21:57:48 PDT 2006

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/10/12/national/w090036D28.DTL

Before Fordham appeared, a Republican member of the House page board, which
oversees the program for teenagers, said she was never told about Foley.

Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., said after her questioning, "I'm a
member of the page board who was not informed of the e-mail messages that
were sent. I want the investigation to go forth quickly and reach a
conclusion."

Capito's Democratic opponent had earlier accused her of failing to protect
the high schoolers in the page program.

Keeping Capito out of the loop would raise questions about whether other
Republicans tried to tell as few people as possible about Foley as part of a
cover up. She is one of three members of Congress who serve on the page
board. Rep. Dale Kildee of Michigan, the lone Democrat, also said he was not
told about Foley.

Capito's testimony preceded that of Foley's chief of staff, Kirk Fordham,
who was ready to directly question the truthfulness of Speaker Dennis
Hastert's top aide.

Fordham said he could demonstrate that he warned Hastert chief of staff
Scott Palmer about Foley's approaches to male pages in 2002 or 2003. Palmer
has challenged Fordham's description of events.

Capito said she knew nothing about the allegations until Sept. 29, when
Foley's conduct became a major Capitol Hill scandal.

"It disturbs me greatly. I am very upset about it and I think it is
disgusting, quite frankly," Capito said in a West Virginia debate Wednesday
after her opponent accused her of shirking her responsibility. She has
called for more members on the page board, more training for those members,
and peer counseling for the pages.
---------
Vision 2020 Post: Ted Moffett