[Vision2020] Termination of the Cardio Rehab Program at Gritman

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 13 12:10:49 PDT 2006

Reproduced below is a letter addressed to Jeff Martin, CEO of Gritman
Medical Services, from Representative Tom Trail, concerning the planned
transfer of Gritman's Cardio Rehab Unit to the Latah Therapy Unit.

A copy of this letter was obtained by my wife while at her appointment this
morning.

I strongly encourage support of Rep. Trail's concerns as this move would
adversely impact the readiness of an invaluable program.

October 12, 2006

Jeff Martin, CEO
Gritman Medical Services
700 S. Main St.
Moscow, Id. 83843

Dear Jeff:

It came as quite a shock for those of us who participate in the Gritman
Cardio Rehab Program that plans are being made to transfer the Cardio Rehab
Unit to the Latah Therapy Unit.  This sudden decision without consulting
those of us who participate in the Cardio Rehab Program appears to violate
areas of Gritman Medical Centers Vision, Mission and Values Statement.

We view the major problem as safety and access to immediate life support
assistance when crisis situations occur,  There are documented cases that
individuals who were participating in the Cardio Rehab Program at Gritman
and collapsed were only saved because of the location of the program in the
hospital.  Immediate access to the crash cart, emergency room, and the
doctors and staff were crucial elements to the survival of those affected.
The constant monitoring of the cardio rehab participants and knowledge of
the participants by cardio rehab staff has been crucial in providing timely
interventions which in a number of cases has saved lives.  My cardiologist
indicates that he views it as essential for me to be closely monitored when
I exercise and be close to life support systems.  This is true of many of
the cardio rehab participants including those who had open heart surgery.

By moving the Cardio Rehab Program to Latah Therapy it becomes a major
safety issues of those who participate in the program.  As they say, "Time
is Life," and without the support system we now have in place, access to
immediate medical attention and increased distance with the location at
Latah Therapy, the chances increase that a participant who suffers a major
heart crisis will not survive.  This places Gritman Medical Services at a
higher liability risk.

We would like to request a meeting to meet with you and the Board to present
our very serious concerns.

Sincerely,

Rep. Tom Trail

Failing any satisfactory response from Mr. Martin, I would demand that he
outline those benefits associated with such a move that would outweigh the
hardship being forced upon Cardio Rehab Program participants.