[Vision2020] Moscow-Pullman Highway going commercial

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Fri Oct 13 07:57:33 PDT 2006

Jerry,

Here's the current water situation as I understand it. Bear with me
as it's a bit convoluted:

Hawkins has entered into an agreement with the Town of Colton in
which Colton relinquishes its previous arrangement with McKiernan
Bros (an auto/truck/farm equip repair business north of Pullman on
the Palouse Highway) in which Colton would have purchased and
transferred McKiernan's water right to add capacity to their
municipal system. Hawkins agreed to find other water for Colton to
replace the McKiernan water. The agreement was to do this in 90 days.
All this was reported in the Whitman Gazette back in August.

There are two issues here. The first is the "sourcing area" for the
water. The area around Colton is underlain by a basalt flow that is
not present in the Moscow/Pullman area (the Saddle Mountain
formation) and which currently supplies Colton its water. There are
other flows below the Saddle Mountain flow that are also present in
the Moscow/Pullman area. So, Hawkins idea is to find other Saddle
Mountain formation wells that they could acquire the rights to and
give them to Colton in exchange for the McKiernan Bros well which
could transfer to their proposed development site.

That's the first hurdle for Hawkins: find the well for Colton to
replace McKiernan.

However there is another consideration when transferring water rights
that Hawkins does not seem to have taken into account. As in Idaho,
Washington has a "use it or lose it" policy regarding water rights.
In the case of the McKiernan well, it was originally drilled by an
ag-chem company who likely did use the full 22 acre foot/yr water
right they were granted. But it's been a long time since that was the
case. WA regs look back five years when calculating how much water
has been put to beneficial use for purposes of deciding how much is
transferrable. I don't know how much a repair shop uses but I'll
wager its considerably less than 22 acre foot/yr (1 acre foot =
325,851 gallons).

So, even if Hawkins can find replacement rights for Colton, they will
only be able to transfer (and I'm guessing here) somewhere between
1-3 acre foot to their proposed development.

In other words, water is still a huge issue for them.

Mark