[Vision2020] Duncan plea deal

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 12 12:16:11 PDT 2006

This is a very tricky issue, Keely. I share your bias but there is something about the Duncan case that is especially disturbing. Couple it with two other recent cases – school shootings in Colorado and Pennsylvania by gunman with other purposes in mind; I will spare you the details,

There is a disturbing trend here. In the end, I think that we should accept Duncan's plea. One thing to consider is that each of this folks committed their actions knowing, or expecting, that they would die as a result. What use is the death penalty as a deterrent in such situations?

I believe that we should treat these folks with an ultimate respect that is due every person, regardless of the fact that they failed to treat others in kind. Two wrongs do not make a right.

But my anger has gotten the better of me and if Duncan is killed by the state, I can't say that I would be sad. In fact, I think that his violations are so severe that he should expect nothing better than death.

But will killing Duncan do any good? I doubt it. We need to seek actual solutions to this problem, not just those solutions that make us feel good.

Best, Joe

---- keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com> wrote:

=============

Anyone have any comment on Joseph Duncan's offer to plead guilty on three
murder counts in the Groene case, accepting life in prison without the
possibility of parole, if Kootenai County drops the death penalty?

I'm a little biased here, since I'm opposed to the death penalty in
principle, but I find it amazing that prosecutors wouldn't accept what by
any measure would be a positive outcome in this case -- one that keeps this
monster off the streets and, not incidentally, would save hundreds of
thousands of dollars in court costs and keep Shasta Groene off the witness
stand.  It seems that a pursuit of ultimate vengeance here might well harm a
little girl and destroy an entire county's budget.

I would think even death penalty advocates would see the wisdom in this.  So
what am I missing?

keely