[Vision2020] So, Is Moscow ready for a reservoir?

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Thu Oct 12 06:22:58 PDT 2006

Matt,

Technically and in reality, the Wanapum won't be
"dry", but the pumping will have exceeded the
ability of the rock to transmit water to the
pumping points causing a "cone of depression"
around the wells that is "dry".

As to the Grande Ronde, no projections are
possible as we don't have a good enough knowledge
of the GR.

The Army Corps of Engineers did a study back in
the 70's (I believe... I've never actually had a
copy to read) that examined the feasibility of
supplying water to Moscow/Pullman from the Snake,
Dworshak, and the N. Fk Palouse at Laird Park.
All were found to be technically feasible and all
were found to be very expensive. We'd have to go
up the Palouse as far as Laird Park or beyond to
capture the water while it is still reasonably
clean to keep treatment costs as minimal as
possible. That's federal ground up there so the
permitting issue becomes intense. Energy cost to
pump it over the S. Fk/N. Fk divide would be a
factor as would the extensive pipeline. It should
be re-examined in modern day $$ as part of any
feasibility study.

m.