[Vision2020] Butch Otter Opposes Prop 2

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Wed Oct 11 07:32:45 PDT 2006

<http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061010/NEWS01/610>http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061010/NEWS01/610
10020

Idaho Statesman 10/10/06

Otter says he will oppose Proposition 2 property rights measure

Congressman Butch Otter, GOP candidate for governor, said he is opposing
Proposition 2, the eminent domain and regulatory takings measure on the Nov.
7 ballot.

As recently as Monday in Boise, Otter said he hadn't made up his mind about
the measure and wasn't sure what the measure really said.

Democrat Jerry Brady previously said he opposed the measure, which he said
would limit Idaho state and local laws aimed at controlling growth and
protecting quality of life.

In a statement today, Otter said the law could lead to numerous lawsuits.

"Private property rights is one of my core values. Yet there are almost as
many opinions about what Proposition 2 will actually do as there are people
voicing those opinions. That seems like a recipe for lots of lawsuits, which
makes it tough for me to recommend it.

Proposition 2 is aimed at limiting the ability of government to take
property without consent and to tell landowners what they can do with their
land.

The opposition building among Idaho business groups, chambers of commerce,
cities, counties and Boise neighborhood groups is aimed at the provisions
that require government to give landowners money when zoning regulations
limit what those owners can do with their properties.

Opponents say the section on compensating landowners is so poorly written it
will create chaos in real estate markets and gut state and local rules that
limit sprawl, ensure open space and protect the environment.

Supporters call the opponents' criticism scare tactics and say the measure,
if approved, will ensure that landowners are compensated when a land-use law
takes away the value of their property.

Here is the statement Otter issued today:

"The Idaho Legislature did a good job of addressing the eminent domain
concerns raised by the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Kelo vs. New London,
Connecticut. While Proposition 2 essentially restates the Legislature's
solution, the issue at the ballot measure's heart is protecting private
property from regulatory takings. I fully understand and even share many of
its supporters' concerns. Private property rights is one of my core values.
Yet there are almost as many opinions about what Proposition 2 will actually
do as there are people voicing those opinions. That seems like a recipe for
lots of lawsuits, which makes it tough for me to recommend it. So I will
vote against Proposition 2. My commitment to the measure's supporters is
that if problems such as they foresee do arise in Idaho, I will be front and
center to see that those problems are addressed by whatever means necessary
and in an equitable and constitutional manner."

Neighbors Protecting Idaho
P.O. Box 137
Boise, Idaho 83701
208-424-8500