[Vision2020] BYU-Idaho Enrollment

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Thu Oct 5 00:19:41 PDT 2006

Mark, nothing new. Some lawmakers from the sited states want Congress to
pitch in with a new Homestead Act.... that would provide government grants
and forgive federal college loans to help the abate the brain/talent drain
from rural to Urban.  The problem there's almost no chance that urban
lawmakers will go along.  When one reviews present trends in China, for
example, there is a strong strong push to truly help the rural areas share
in the prosperity.  Further, China is addressing in a big way its
enviromental challenges. Amazing when a country becomes optomistic.   Back
to my passion and in reference to China....  Skills- Pro Tech education for
the non college bound.  China is investing heavily into this area.  China
is also buying Universities (struture and format) from the West rather than
inventing the wheel. Of course, the Communist party is suspicious. China
still has many structural problems and water is one of the most pressing.
Other countries with $ are literally buying Western Universities to be
locally sited.   When I was visting relatives in Irkutst, Russia.  American
internet education was thriving at some of Irkutst finest Universities and
Institute's.  The world is flat. Let's make Moscow rock.  Jerry