[Vision2020] BYU-Idaho Enrollment

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Wed Oct 4 23:53:39 PDT 2006

Donovan,
You have great points.  For a little perspective, our family hosted Murali
Reddy, a gifted student from India.  Murali received a MS in chemistry for
UI.  Nick Geier knows Murali and his wife Brinda well.  Brinda received her
Phd in microbiology from UI.  Both are brilliant and very productive.  Nick
has visted theri families in India.  Recently, Murali has become an
American citizen.  He is the lead chemist at AVI Biopharma in Corvallis,
Oregon.  I wish they could have stayed here.

President White is familiar with AVI Biopharma.  What this small 120
employee company has done is outstanding.  They have developed NEUGENE
Antisense drugs.  They received $11 million from the Bush administration
Jan.06 to start human clinical trials in conjuction with Stanford
U.  Antisense compounds block selected gene targets. The trick is to have
the antisense penetrate the cell, not hurt the host and deactivate the
virus. They work  on such things in non human primates on SARS, EBOLA,
Avian Flu, Hepatitis C, West Nile, Dengue and a host of other RNA
virus'.  Our community needs to awaken to UI/WSU's potential and the folks
such as this couple we "export." The market for these drugs in a multi
Billion dollar affair.  Murali believes this break through is the
equivalent of the development of anitbiotics.  Last time I checked in, 11
clinical trials have been completed and 4 more are ongoing.  They have also
developed therapies for Anthrax and ricin toxin.   Moscow has to make the
choice for moving forward or  accept decline.  Jerry