[Vision2020] BYU-Idaho Enrollment

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Mon Oct 2 21:34:20 PDT 2006

Bill, Naylor Farms is not the type of growth I have ever pushed.  What I am
talking about is a Stanford Research Park....Schweitzer type companies.  In
this week's Kiplinger Report under trends, the letter reports a 30%
increase (from 25 years ago) of young people moving to and remaining in
urban areas.  There are rural areas that are fighting back to keep their
youth and/or recruit youth to their regions by offering strong tax
incentives and in some cases, free land for businesses these youth are
starting. Incidently, there are more upstart high tech companies in the US
than ever in our history.  Moscow is not an area that focuses on retaining
our youth since job creation is not on the radar screen.  In one editorial,
I suggested that the county buy  Naylor farms and turn it into a
business/ed research park.  I talked with Sid Eder and Paul Kimmell about
this concept.

Would you agree such a business/ed park could reverse UI's decline? MIT has
less enrollment than UI and its graduates/faculty have spun off over 4,000
companies and these companies collectively employ 1.1Million
Folks.    Route 128 in Boston in bristling with firms that are examples of
bus/ed.  Micron, for example, donated $5 million to BSU for two Phd
programs in engineering.  Micron used to donate to UI and I was told by an
engineering prof that Micron-UI donations have dryed up, however Schweitzer
donates heavily to both WSU and UI.   Gone are the days of extractive
industries.  I do not think it would take too many companies to reverse the
town's outlook. I do not believe our area will become an urban
center.   Research shows that in 1910, with the students are factored out,
there was more population on the Palouse (Whitman and Latah Counties) than
in year 2000.  I am not afraid of growth, however there has been almost no
planning.  When you visited Walla Walla, did you feel the  optimism and
experience a very nicely laid out community?   When I went to college in
the mid 60's, Walla Walla was still complaining about not being the capitol
of WN and had a no-can-do-it attitude.  When one extractive industry
(timber) declined, Walla Walla refocused and came up with the wine
industry.  WWCommuniy College just started about when I graduated and has
matured nicely. Whitman and Walla Walla College, the two privates, work
together.  The public k-12 is very progressive.  Safe highways are lobbied
for and Walla Walla has over a square mile of business park.  Their chamber
is very organized and its web page is excellent.  Walla Walla is a city of
the arts.

So what I am saying, we could do the same and by doing the same, I believe
UI's fortunes will be enhanced and Moscow will benefit.
   Jerry