[Vision2020] Fwd: Reality of Poverty in Idaho

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Sat Nov 25 18:10:19 PST 2006

Learning by doing is a superb idea and it applies to much more than what is referred to as "skills," particularly vocational skills and workforce skills referred to by Bill Gates.  One of the concerns that surfaces when teachers emphasize learning by doing is that because it is thorough, it is also time consuming.  On the other hand,  the testing models of education being embraced today de-emphasize learning by doing and emphasize rote learning (and a lot of it, to ensure all the test items are covered.)  It also does little or nothing to curb drop out rates or honestly engage students.  Good teachers, in every subject area, find satisfaction in teaching students to take charge of their own learning.  They become coaches and facilitators as they engage students--and it works in social studies and English as well as in auto mechanics and word processing.

Jerry, your recommendations are interesting--a good place for a beginning discussion.  I would say Prop 1 was not too broad, it was to ensure a measure of protection schools will no longer have, and should have passed.  If our temporary governor and his lackeys in the legislature really cared about public education, they might well rue the day they destroyed the underpinnings of its financial base.  And unfortunately, I don't believe even one of your recommendations is financially supportable given the current funding patterns. Interesting, though.

Sue Hovey