[Vision2020] UI Professor of History Comments On "Southern Slavery, As It Was" & "Black and Tan"

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 21 15:01:32 PST 2006

Greetings:

I've been wanting to weigh in on this issue as well.  Let me start with my own experience with publishing my third book.

The first round of anonymous reviews for my book "Spiritual Titanism" ended in a tie.  One reviewer praised the MS. to the hilt and encouraged publication; the other reviewer did not like the MS. at all.  The editor at State University of New York Press said that they would have to send it out for review again.  The next two anonymous reviewers said to go ahead with publication.

Now, if I had my own vanity Press, let's call it Intoleristas Publishing Co., I could have gone ahead and published the book with the a blurb from the reviewer who really liked it.  But "could have" doesn't always mean "should have." Bush the Lesser should have learned this very well.

First, I could not have lived with myself; and second, my colleagues would have blacklisted me for breaking academic protocol.

Of all the professional reviews that I have read of Wilson's work on slavery, it is only Eugene Genovese who has praised it.  Two UI history professors and a U of Wash. expert on the Civil War (and member of a Wilson associated Christ Church in Seattle) have condemned it.

That leads me to a specific comment about Genovese's blurb on Wilson's second slavery book.  Here are the revelant parts: "The Rev. Douglas Wilson may not be a professional historian, as his detractors say, but he has a strong grasp of the essentials of the history of slavery and its relations to Christian doctrine.  Indeed, sad to say, his grasp is a great deal stronger than that of most professors of American history, whose distortions and trivializatins disgrace our college classrooms."

Perhaps Genovese thinks that none of his professional colleagues will read or hear of Wilson's book, so that he can spew this venom about them behind their backs.  Genovese has stooped as low as Wilson himself, who condemns all academics who disagree with him and proclaims that most conservative evangelical colleges and their respective faculty are not really Christians.

Nick Gier, Proud Intolerista

Intolerance is a virtue when one is intolerant of hypocrisy, dishonesty, evasion, discrimination, bad mouthing and other ugly behavior.