[Vision2020] Question for the Vision

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 19:16:55 PST 2006

Kai Eiselein, editor wrote:

> I believe that all persons under the age of 18 should be belted, and
> officers should be able to pull over a vehicle if they see an unbelted
> minor.
> Adults, however, should make their own choices.

Kai,

You make good points, but I have to disagree with you here.  One of the
reasons you wear a seatbelt, aside from stopping you from being flung
out of the car, is so that you can have the possibility of retaining
control of the car in the event of an accident.  It's hard to stop the
car or swerve to avoid something if you are under the dashboard
struggling to get up.  Of course, this does no good if you smack head-on
into a telephone pole, but if you careen off some other car, it would be
nice if the jolt left you still able to regain some kind of control.
Thus, someone not wearing their seatbelt can affect me directly, if I'm
in the car that would have been hit if someone had not still been able
to veer out of the way because they were buckled up.  This argument is
mainly for the driver, of course, I don't feel strongly one way or the
other about passengers who are of age.

As one other reason, I'd like to point out that wearing a seatbelt can
help drive home, so to speak, the reality of how dangerous driving can
become.  I swear, most people think they are in a video game and that if
they hit something they can stick their arm out and stop themselves.  I
like the idea of showing gruesome images as a deterrant, but perhaps we
should also make them calculate the inertia involved and show them what
those numbers can mean by showing them the results of crashes at various
levels of force.

Paul