[Vision2020] sabbath celebrations?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Nov 20 17:34:42 PST 2006

I'm not convinced that the Kirk's Sabbath celebrations are at all edifying
for anyone other than Kirkers.  How many of "the least of these" are invited
to your dinners?  Are you sensitive in jpyfully denying your right to drink
wine, eat meat, etc., because of those whose consciences are wounded by
such?  Would your neighbors testify glowingly about your Sabbath
celebrations?  Is the unpaid work of homeworkers somehow negotiated as
"not-work" if done in the service of the Sabbath?  And, last but certainly
not least, is the liberating gospel of reconciliation to God in Christ Jesus
clearly and intentionally proclaimed to those who don't yet know it?

Or am I just being kinda picky?  You know -- unladylike and all, asking
uncomfortable questions and daring to hope for straight answers.

The thing is, Doug, I really don't know the answers.  But if the Kirk's idea
of transforming the Palouse is psalm singing, Sabbath dinners, and husbands
radically loving their wives -- and forgive me, but your printed materials,
i.e., the Merkledrivel on childbearing, don't have me terribly impressed --
then I might suggest you grab a New Testament and read a bit about the first
century church, which seemed rather more focused on charity, good works,
peace, and avoiding even the merest suggestion of the appearance of evil.

keely