[Vision2020] Question for the Vision

Jennifer McFarland jmcfarland at latah.id.us
Mon Nov 20 13:25:45 PST 2006

Interesting points, Kai.  Speaking of education, I wonder what people think
about the programs that encourage kids to be "junior seat belt officers."
Firemen go to schools and tell kids they need smoke detectors and to
pressure their parents into getting them; what about the programs that ask
kids to "police" their parents about using seat belts?

On a related topic: Parents often call the Sheriff's Office or Police
Department and ask us (the officers) to "scare" their children about the
evils of swearing/stealing/hitting/refusing to wear a seat belt/talking
back, or any number of other things.  Their theory seems to be that we're
scarier or more authoritative than they are.  Where should we draw the line
and tell parents to do their own parenting, or should we?

Det. Jennifer L. McFarland
Latah County Sheriff's Office
Public Information Officer
PO Box 8068
Moscow, Idaho 83843
(208) 882-2216
Fax (208) 883-2281
 <http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/Sheriff_Main.htm>
http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/Sheriff_Main.htm

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
***Ralph Waldo Emerson

  _____