[Vision2020] Abortion and the Bible

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Nov 19 18:41:17 PST 2006

Nick,

I meant the last sentence as a bit of humor, and in re-reading it I see that
it had the opposite effect:  that of artificially, perhaps blithely,
dividing people into camps.

What I meant was a self-deprecating acknowledgement that "once again" I make
seemingly black-and-white issues a hazy, heathery, gray, a trait that
bothers me only when I do it in error, but annoys my Kirk and other critics
incessantly, and I don't fit in easily with one side of the
socioreligious-political continuum or the other.  In reality, I absolutely
understand that most sane people aren't rooted in one extreme; in an attempt
to poke a little fun at myself, I ended up sounding as if there should be
such division.  Not cool, and not especially as relates to our friendship.
To both you and Tony, I offer my apologies.  Mea culpa!!

As far as the omniscience of a God who "repents and regrets," I freely
acknowledge that my understanding is formed less by textual analysis and
linguistic nuance than by a faith-understanding of who Yahweh is, an
understanding that is not empty of intellectual reason -- my study of
Scripture -- but nonetheless fully informed by the Holy Spirit, (as far as
can be possible in a being whose earnestness is exceeded only by her moral
imperfection).  Still, I only have concerns about the non-omniscience
(-presence, -potence) of God when the belief is voiced by evangelical
Christians, such as those who embrace "openness theology."  It's not
something I could divide over, or break fellowship with because of, but as a
departure from historic Christian thought and doctrine, it is problematic.

Your Theology Bluebook is one of the "grab in case of a fire" volumes in my
library, Nick, and I've learned much from you through it as well as on
Vision.  We're long overdue for lunch, and I'm grateful that our esteem for
each other isn't built on this or any other issue.  Thanks for your comments
and for giving me the chance to respond!

keely