[Vision2020] Abortion and the Bible

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Nov 19 16:21:04 PST 2006

I believe the Biblical passages Nick cites (Psalm 139, Jeremiah 1:5) speak
much more to the omniscience of God -- the facet of His existence "outside
of time" that gives Him complete and unassailable foreknowledge about items
we finitely categorize into past, present, and future -- and not to the
personhood of the fetus. The rhetorical construction of these passages, as
well as their context, make clear two things.

The first is to portray the omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent Hebrew
God as ontologically possessing not only those traits, but a relational
aspect to His (non-gendered) being that we can only call "personal."  The
second is that the objects -- persons -- to whom God speaks are capable, as
persons, of reciprocating that relational quality.  I agree with my friend
Nick that Christianity has historically rejected the pre-existence of the
soul, but I don't believe that either passage refers to that; I read them as
rhetorical devices that demonstrate a "timeless foreknowledge" of this
omniscient God, a knowledge -- even familiarity -- that exists "out of
time."  As time-bound human beings, we understand these things much more
readily in illustration rather than in concept, and that is why the
reference is to "before you were born."

I am obviously not nearly the scholar that Nick and others on this list are,
and I identify with the "seamless garment" tradition that holds all life
dear, before birth and throughout life -- a position that compels me to
condemn both abortion and capital punishment, as well as any other policy
that perpetuates the oppression of living beings.  Being "anti-abortion" is
often equated with being "pro-life," and I think that's too generous,
frankly -- just as I think "pro-choice" is unfairly reckoned as a position
nobly devoted to justice and freedom while in reality obscuring the problem
of abortion.  And while I believe the fetus has a soul, is a person, and is
known by a personal God, I have a hard time arguing for the full legal
personhood of the first- or second-trimester fetus, as some have argued.
Moreover, I do not believe that the woman who aborts has committed murder,
which, by definition, is a legal descriptor that implies motive -- in the
same way we call other homicides "manslaughter" of various types.  The
outcome is the same -- a person dies -- but the legal system, and certainly
most of us, recognize that the difference is predicated on factors other
than the end result.  I know many women who have had elective abortions; not
one made the decision, as they've described it, with the view that they
wanted to kill another human being.   They were desperate, perhaps unaware;
they were not murderers.

There is, I suppose, a lapse in logic in my unwillingness to have the State
confer legal personhood status on the first- and second-trimester fetus.
After all, if I believe the product of conception to be fully human, I can't
logically hold to a "greater" humanity at 36 weeks than at 16.  My
hesitation, though, in granting legal personhood, with all of the civil
rights thereof, to a first- and second-term fetus is because I fear granting
the State the power to investigate and adjudicate the most intimate areas,
physically and legally, of a woman's life.  When I miscarried in 1990 after
minor surgery, I was unaware that I had been pregnant, and I was honestly
more concerned about my other health problem than I was about having
spontaneously aborted.  A difficult time would have been made unbearable if
my doctor had had to report to the State that I had miscarried, resulting in
the strong likelihood of a judicial process centered on areas it was and is
unqualified to judge.  That's why I occupy a really lonely place in the
argument:  the pro-lifer who thinks the fetus is human, which lands me on
the conservative side of the scale, and who strives to be consistently
pro-life, placing me more on the liberal side of the continuum -- and who
is, nonetheless, uncomfortable with the idea of laws that could potentially
speak to circumstances of which a woman is unaware, or that place her in a
desperate position that law can barely hope to address with justice, much
less compassion.  (For the record, I would no more dream of enforcing
pregnancy on a woman who's been victimized by rape or incest than I would of
holding a parade in honor of the assailant).

So now both Nick and Tony are probably glad that I've given them grounds to
disown me from their respective camps . . .

keely