[Vision2020] Vandals Arriving in Style

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Nov 15 11:31:39 PST 2006

Visionaires -

The following email was received from Colonel Bruce Barnes (Commanding
Officer, UI NROTC)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have a US Navy FA-18F Super Hornet, piloted by two Vandals, visiting
Wednesday and Thursday.  The squadron commander of VF-41, Commander Dell
Bull (U of I '88 (played football for Coach Erickson)) and Lieutenant Doug
Wyman (U of I 99) will arrive Wednesday morning about 10:00 am.  They will
attempt to land at Pullman, but the weather could force them on to
Fairchild AFB.  If successful, the jet and crew will be available to view
about 1015.  Another opportunity will be around 8:00 am on Thursday before
they take off.

I wish I could give you more notice and confirmation of them getting in, but
given the iffy weather, and the short runway at Pullman, the crew cannot
guarantee making it in -- it's a high-performance jet and the Pullman runway
is at the absolute minimum, length-wise.  The crew definitely wants to get
in and will try to as long as it's safe, but at a minimum, they will
probably circle Moscow and Pullman, and the noise will be hard to miss.

If you or any of your folks would like to view the aircraft and talk to the
crew you are welcome to do so.  I will leave here about 9:00 am to go out
and greet them.

Semper fi,
bmb

Bruce M. Barnes
Colonel, USMC
Chair, Department of Naval Science
Professor of Naval Science
Commanding Officer, NROTC Unit
University of Idaho and Washington State University
X6333