[Vision2020] Global Warming and the Savior State

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 13:27:11 PST 2006

On 11/14/06, heirdoug at netscape.net <heirdoug at netscape.net> wrote:
> Keely,
>
> I was wondering if you knew who the senator was who got the first law
> passed to do away R-12 car air conditioning refrigerant?
>
> That would be the senator from the great State of Tennessee, your hero
> and mine, Al Gore. We now waste more energy, and produce more green
> house gases, with inefficient air conditioners than would have been
> with the R-12 problem.
>
> Way to Go Albert!

Doug --

While CFCs are, in fact, greenhouse gasses, the primary concern with
R-12 wasn't that it was a greenhouse gas: it was that it put atomic
chlorine in the lower stratosphere, catalyzing the transformation of
O3 to O2. Chlorine ion levels in the stratosphere have decreased 7%
since 1993. The public policy achieved its goal.

-- ACS