[Vision2020] Tet Offensive

Tony tonytime at clearwire.net
Sat Nov 11 07:16:48 PST 2006

Matt,

Your thoughtful exchange with Sunil prompts this musing....

It is troubling that so many folks expect the administration to provide for
their security while attempting to micro-manage all conflicts from their
armchair.  I too tend to trust those in a position to know, who also seem to
me to be men and woman of intelligence and fair mindedness - the Bushes,
Cheneys, RUMSFELDS and Rices.  And yup, we have not utilized our military to
its full capability or we would have celebrated an adequate victory by now.
Had we employed tactics like Truman did against the Japanese, or Sherman did
against the south, or as Mac Arthur wanted to against the Soviets, many of
the threats we face today would not have materialized in the first place.
The senators and brass monkeys back home are influenced by their
constituents, who are misinformed and dispirited by a predominantly disloyal
and deceitful, liberal media.  You correctly note that the primary problem
in Iraq and Vietnam is and was politicians and journalists dictating
military policy rather than generals.

Your observation about the coverage of the mosque in Fallujah where Al-Zar
punk-boy was hiding was also correct.  We should have ignored the
collaborating subversives in our media and allowed the generals to blast the
bastard, mosque and all, right into Allah's lap.  This only sounds bad to
those who haven't the stomach for what is unavoidable to achieve victory or
the sense to defer to those who do.

As far as expediency in war is concerned, sometimes you have to cut off a
finger to save a hand.  If by killing innocents as we clearly did at Dresden
or with the A-bomb, we are able to pre-empt the death of  MANY TIMES that
number, which was Truman's conclusion, we have done what we had to do.  It
is cruel in the extreme for those not saddled with such wrenching decisions
to condemn the conclusions acted upon by those who are.

Yes, the media tend to focus on the EXCEPTIONS rather than the RULE as far
as our troops actions are concerned - ignoring the good and endlessly
highlighting the occasional exception such as Abu Graub (sp?).

Anywho, hope you had a good weekend,     -Tony