[Vision2020] I Dream of Djinni

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 10 16:16:38 PST 2006

>From "The Sandbox" at http://gocomics.typepad.com/the_sandbox/ -

I DREAM OF DJINNI
Name: CPT Matt Smenos
Posting date: 11/2/06
Stationed in: Afghanistan
Hometown: Santa Maria, CA
Email: msmenos at hotmail.com

I tried to explain that she was a genie -- or a djinn, as it's pronounced in
Arabic. For me, Barbara Eden strutting around in a pink halter top and
pantaloons had always fit vaguely into my understanding of the mythology of
the Middle East. To my friend and interpreter Aresh, it made no sense at
all. I tried to explain who she was and what she was doing as he and I ate
lunch in the television room at our little base, but I soon realized that
this was an American idea, and kind of a dumb one. Define surreal:  "A white
guy from the suburbs, eating grilled cheese sandwiches in a wooden hut in
Afghanistan, explaining I Dream of Jeannie reruns to an Iranian-born Afghan
employed as a Dari/Arabic interpreter by the U.S. government."

Aresh wanted to know why she was (relatively) naked and why her "husband"
(The Major) allowed her to come and go (so abruptly) while dressed like
that. I explained that The Major never chose her, that they were not
married, and that, in fact, it often seemed he wanted to be rid of her. Yet
she had chosen him as a master, and there was no getting rid of her. This
explanation did nothing to clarify the concept for my poor interpreter. But
Aresh is a good kid, and as frustrating as the conversation was for him, he
satisfied himself by telling me he was glad no women he knew could make
things happen like the woman in the show. Next week I'm starting him on
Bewitched.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.