[Vision2020] When is it and when is it not my business? (update)

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 7 11:27:04 PST 2006

Doug Farris sent me an off-list reply taking me to task for, well, pretty
much everything I've written on Vision lately.  I'll respect his desire to
keep his response off-list, while explaining to him why, in general, I
believe he's acting contrary to the Gospel and contrary to the basic social
mores that most of us learned when we were seven.

Biblically, you don't "do unto others as they do to you."  You "do unto
others as you would have them do unto you," knowing that some people will
treat you badly.  The believer, then, and most people who subscribe to a
moral or religious code, would endeavor to not repeat the offensive directed
at them by responding in kind, but would try to treat the offender with even
greater grace.The Christian can't take shelter under "well, he started it!"
We're supposed to end it, and end it by grace and submisison.  I know I've
fallen down on that one at times, and some may think that I've done so
interacting as I have with Farris.  I trust God will show me if I have.

Nonetheless, the Scriptures to which he and I both profess allegiance
require that we recognize the need to address rotten behavior IN the
Christian community and not rotten behavior OUTSIDE OF the Body of Christ (1
Cor. 5:12).  God does that, and always with a greater measure of justice and
grace than Doug, Keely, Dale Courtney or anyone else could evince.  The
unfruitful conduct of fellow believers, though, is to be judged and rebuked
by other believers, who presumably have the brother or sister's maturity and
restoration at heart.  I dearly wish that Doug Farris' words proved him to
be a mature brother in Christ.  I eagerly await his repentance and
restoration, and I would do anything I could to encourage him in his walk
with Christ.  His repentance, of course, is between him and God, and would
come because he's sinned against God in his attitude -- at least, that's how
I see it.  If I'm wrong -- if Christ is truly glorified by his comments to
Nick and his smackdowns to Tom and Wayne -- then I trust the Spirit to lead
me into repentance for harping on him.

Until then, my conscience is clear in regard to how I've responded to Doug
Farris and his buddies on Vision 2020.  I will, though, confess in all
seriousness that my heart toward them at times doesn't please God.  In fact,
sometimes I'd like to just smack 'em all.  When I feel that way, I don't
write, not on Vision nor anywhere else.  I pray.  And when I'm sure my anger
is Spirit-driven and not Keely-driven, righteous and not sinful, I write.

It seems odd to me that those who crow about the godly availability and
utility of the Serrated Edge, and who wield it with such vitriol against
unbelievers, cry "foul" when another believer responds sharply.  Tough.  My
edge, but by the example set forth in Scripture.  The public voices I hear
from the Kirk have not done much at all to present the Gospel in a blessed
light.  Since there's nothing more important to me than Christ Jesus, I'm
willing to have the guys band together and heckle me as I try to defend it.
Their condemnation to me means nothing, but their repentance and restoration
would delight my soul.

God is good.  Me?  I'm not so good, but I'm sure trying to speak truth.

keely