[Vision2020] When is it and when is it not my business?

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 16:09:57 PST 2006

Doug,

I think people's personal lives don't involve me, unless those people choose
to involve me in them in some way.  So Nick's personal life is none of my
business, and I'm mystified by your repeated attempts to make an issue out
of it on this listserve.  Now if Nick were to discuss his personal life
here, then of course he'd be opening the issue up.  But he hasn't, and
you're way out of line with the way you keep bringing it up, in my opinion.

Go ahead and bicker with him -or anyone else here - over the issues he
raises, but until you're invited, you should stay out of his bedroom.  I'm
willing to assume the invite is neither forthcoming nor likely to be
accepted, so it seems to me the issue should be closed.

Someone's ex-husband is none of my business unless the person involved
chooses to raise it here.  Until then it stays their business.  Nothing
mystical about that line.

Your family life is your business, and I don't intend to raise it here
unless you bring it up somehow; then I think I should stick to the issue you
raise.  If you're discussing where to take your kid to gymnastics, I'd be an
ass to start discussing how you should discipline your kid.

Your licensing status is none of my business.  If you do some work for me
and falsely hold yourself out in some way, then it's my business; until then
I don't plan on discussing it.

I'd say this to anyone who asked your question, Doug, not just the white
guys.  But you knew that had nothing to do with it.

Sunil